This recipe has been such a hit with clients, it was time to share! Believe it or not, I experimented by eliminating all dairy/cheese from this recipe and it still turned out amazing. A pureed cauliflower cream sauce substituted very well.
Grains, Gluten and Dairy are all foods many people are sensitive to, so turning carb heavy dishes like this into an amped up healthy meal (without sacrificing flavour and satiety) is a huge bonus!
Noodle-less Hearty Zucchini Lasagna
6 large zucchini, cut into strips (1/8 inch)
1 ½ lb lean ground beef, chicken or turkey
1 T coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
2 C chopped broccoli
2 C chopped cauliflower
2 C chopped spinach
1 can crushed tomatoes (25 oz)
1 T garlic powder
2 T Italian Seasoning
1 T Basil
1 t Himalayan Salt
¼ t Stevia powder (optional)
1 t black pepper or crushed red pepper
16 oz of cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, or a blend of both
½ C Parmesan cheese
½ C Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Noodle Layer- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly coat a cookie sheet with coconut oil, arrange the zucchini slices and season with salt and pepper. Bake zucchini a few minutes on each side, then remove from oven. Use paper towels to soak up the excess water from the zucchini (this will make the lasagna less watery). Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees.
2. Meat Sauce- In a large pan, cook the ground meat in coconut oil until evenly browned. Make sure the vegetables are chopped in small pieces. Add the vegetables to the meat mixture, along with the spices and can of crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes, occasionally stirring. Taste this mixture and add more spices/seasonings if you desire. If you need a little sweetness, add stevia or your sweetener of choice.
3. Cheese Layer- Mix the cottage cheese and ricotta cheese together with 1 beaten egg.
4. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with coconut oil. Spread 1/3 meat sauce on the bottom. Place one layer of zucchini slices on the meat sauce, followed by a later of the cheese mixture. Repeat this process until the dish is complete. Reserve a portion of the cheese mixture for the top later. You may sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on the top.
5. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Remove the foil and continue to bake or broil for 5-10 minutes until the top is browned. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for at least ten minutes. Serves about 8.
*Depending on your individual tastes or what vegetables you have available, you can substitute equal portions of the vegetables (aside from zucchini) with others of your choice such as peppers, mushrooms or kale. Adding a couple tablespoons of tomato paste may also enhance the flavor of the sauce.